Simon Bentley
Author: Simon Bentley, Head Of Customer Interaction

Simon has over 15 years experience in the insurance industry and looks after our website, making sure our customers have the best experience possible!

Originally posted: 7th Mar 2014

Medical conditions

Although part of the EU state medical treatment in Cyprus is still some way behind the NHS service we are used to in the UK.  And unless you are a resident there you may not be able to benefit from this in any case. Private medical treatment in Cyprus is one of the most expensive in Europe and could cost you dearly if you are not sufficiently protected.  Therefore it is essential that you take adequate travel insurance before travelling to Cyprus to ensure peace of mind before you go, particularly if you have pre-existing medical conditions.

Compare Your Travel Insurance allows you to declare all your pre-existing medical conditions in one easy to use online form and will find you a range of suitable travel insurance solutions that you can choose from which to purchase. 

About Cyprus

Situated in the Eastern Mediterranean Cyprus is the most easterly point within Europe. A strategic position at the junction of Europe, Africa and the Middle East Cyprus has been culturally touched by these three continents. Under British rule till 1960 Cyprus gained its independence with Britain retaining two sovereign bases at Akrotiri near Limassol and Dekhelia near Larnaca. Occupied by the Greeks and Turkish for many years and living in harmony till 1974, it was in this year that Turkey invaded the island of Cyprus and to this day it has been divided.  Controlled by the UN a Green Buffer Zone separates the island with effectively 40% being under Turkish rule and the remaining 60% Greek Cypriot. The capital city of Nicosia is divided by this green buffer zone.

Today travelling to Cyprus is very safe and an enjoyable time should be had. Although Cyprus has a high dependency on tourism it has a lot of commerce through banking, finance and shipping.

Getting there:

Many years on from the troubles Cyprus has re-established itself a major travel destination with many large and small tourist resorts catering for both the young and old.  Most travel operators list Cyprus amongst their destinations along with many flight only options. UK flights are between 4-5 hours depending on where you travel from and to.  Flights will be either into Paphos or Larnaca which are the two main airports serving the island. You cannot fly directly into Northern Cyprus without first landing on the mainland of Turkey.  It is worth checking with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website


Before travelling to Cyprus you would need to check your travel insurance policy provides adequate cover, especially if you have pre-existing medical conditions. Some travel insurance policies may exclude Northern Cyprus and medical treatment there is significantly of a lower standard than in the South.      


Popular with UK, Northern Europe and Russians visitors Cyprus has a wealth of things to do from Luxury Spa Hotels, Scuba Diving, Golf and self catering holidays. Large towns such as Paphos and Aiya Napa have busy nightlife and are very commercial whereas places like Polis and Latchi are quieter with harbours and beachside restaurants. A trip to the Troodos mountains is worth a visit with many Wineries, Monastries and picturesque villages to see on route Following British rule many UK traditions have been retained such as driving on the left and similar road signs making it easy to explore. 

Frequently Asked Questions

You will need to add each country that you are visiting. If you are on a flight stopover this will include any countries where you leave the airport. If you are on a cruise it includes any countries where your ship will be docking at.
A pre-existing condition is a diagnosed medical condition that existed before taking out a policy. We'll ask a series of questions about the medical history for you and any travellers on your quote. If you answer yes to any of these, you will need to tell us about the traveller's conditions. This could be a condition that a traveller has now, or has had in the past. If you are not sure what conditions you need to declare, we have online support available to help you 24/7!
It's really simple and quick to do! After you've told us about your trip details and answered some medical history questions you can add your pre-existing conditions, one by one, for each traveller. You'll only need to enter your details once, it's all online and there's no need to call, or provide details of your conditions in writing.
Once you've declared all of your relevant pre-existing medical conditions we'll only show you quotes based on the conditions you have told us about.
Full details of what you need to do to make a claim will be detailed in the Policy Wording provided to you by your insurance provider.
Share and share alike Share the love with friends.