Why do I need travel insurance for cardiomyopathy?
Eyes fixed on a distant horizon? Before you jet, drive or sail away, you’ll need specialised cover as standard travel insurance won’t unfortunately cover you if you live with cardiomyopathy. But there’s no need to worry. If treatment is required while you’re away from home, the right policy will help avoid any unforeseen costs or a large medical bill.
Although cardiomyopathy can, in some cases, be managed through a healthy lifestyle, symptoms ranging from fatigue to shortness of breath can happen during day-to-day activities. We know not all cardiomyopathy is the same, so whether you’ve been diagnosed with dilated, hypertrophic, arrhythmogenic or restrictive cardiomyopathy, we’ll help you find the right policy for you.
We want to help you secure that extra peace of mind, so you can get back to planning your travels. Specialist cardiomyopathy policies have enhanced medical cover bespoke to your individual needs, meaning you and your holiday are protected - just in case. To declare your cardiomyopathy simply tell us about your health condition whilst getting a quote and, after a few short and easy questions, the rest is taken care of.
If you have a related illness or if you are unsure about whether to declare a condition, just chat to our online team who are there to answer any queries you may have. We’re here to help.Get a quote
COVID-19 Medical Cover
We’ll only show you quotes from providers who cover emergency medical expenses (including repatriation to the UK) if you catch the virus whilst travelling abroad.
Enhanced COVID Cover
Extra cover that'll give you & your holiday even more protection against COVID-19. Compare quotes from leading providers with this additional cover today.
Medical screening for declaring cardiomyopathy
When you tell us about your cardiomyopathy, you’ll be asked a short series of questions. These questions are designed to help us learn more about your specific condition and how it may affect your day-to-day life, so we can bring you a selection of providers and quotes to choose from. It’s simple to get a policy tailored to your unique requirements.
During the screening process, typical questions may include:
- Do you have any further investigations or treatment procedures planned?
- How short of breath do you get when you are walking on flat ground?
- Have you ever had an abnormal heart rhythm?
- How has your condition been treated?
- How many unplanned hospital visits for your irregular heartbeat have you had in the last 12 months?
- Has your heart rhythm ever caused you to collapse, faint or blackout?
- Do you have (or are you on medication for) heart-related breathlessness or ankle swelling?
What does cardiomyopathy travel insurance cover?
Simply put, travel insurance for those living with cardiomyopathy is specifically tailored to cover any medical expenses incurred whilst you’re away as a result of your condition, or even if your condition flares up before you go and you need to cancel your holiday (which is typically not covered by standard travel insurance). These cover:
- Treatment or surgery
- Emergency repatriation home
- Any requisite medication (in case of loss or damage in transit)
- Cancellation of your holiday if your symptoms worsen
- Legal protection
- Personal liability
While some insurers do not provide full cover for pre-existing conditions such as cardiomyopathy, we have partnered with a number of specialist providers to bring you the right policy at the right price - so you can fully relax and really enjoy that much-needed break away.
It’s worth noting that whilst your symptoms do not need to be declared, you may be asked about these when getting a quote. If you are awaiting a diagnosis or treatment, we recommend speaking to your doctor or healthcare physician before travelling. We are unable to provide a quote or offer cover if you have a condition which is under investigation and has not yet been diagnosed.
Get a quote for cardiomyopathy travel insurance today and enjoy your holiday knowing your condition - or that of your travelling party - is covered with us.
Alongside the regular benefits of your travel insurance policy - such as cancellation, accident, medical and repatriation expenses, mobility aids, baggage loss and theft - you can also include optional extras that might come in handy for your trip. These aren’t essential, but we recommend exploring what’s available in terms of extra cover if you’re taking any expensive gadgets, going on a cruise or taking part in any winter sports.
Of course, you can add any optional extras that you need - such as:
This may increase your premium, but it’s definitely something to consider when shopping around, especially if you have different types of holidays planned.
Cardiomyopathy travel tips
If you’re travelling with cardiomyopathy, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to enjoy pleasant travels wherever you’re headed. To make the most of your relaxing break away, just bear a few things in mind before and during your holiday.
Before you travel:
- Speak to your doctor before you go, especially if you’ve recently had surgery or have any specific activities or excursions booked; they will be able to advise you of any necessary precautions
- Plan your holiday destination carefully - choose destinations that are accessible and have a reputable hospital nearby
- If your symptoms cause fatigue, choose a hotel or resort with a lift or means of getting around if walking becomes tiring (or better still, request a room on the ground floor)
- If you take medication for your condition, be sure to pack a plentiful supply to allow for any loss or damage in transit
- Pack copies of any important medical documents (with a copy in each set of luggage, in case anything goes missing)
While you’re travelling:
- Be mindful of your diet - it is important to maintain a balanced intake of water and salt to keep your heart rate stable, and avoid too much sugar, caffeine and alcohol too
- Don’t be afraid to speak up - if you feel you are showing symptoms, alert cabin crew or hotel staff as soon as possible so they can assist you
- Take advantage of any additional services at the airport or cruise ship with mobility aids or concierge services to ease the stress of travelling
- If you’ve packed medication, split it between your cabin luggage and your hand luggage, just in case either are lost or stolen (and always pack more than you need, just in case)
No discounts. No pressure. Just the best prices all the time.
All ages considered
Join over half a million people who have used us to find the cover they need.
Quick to complete
In just minutes, compare cover from over 30 specialist providers.
Cover for your condition
Search for over 3,000 health conditions using our easy online tool.
Get cheap quotes from specialist cardiomyopathy insurance providers
When you get a quote, you’ll be taken through our seamless and speedy two-step form which makes declaring any health conditions easy and hassle-free, just how you like it.
The first step asks for basic information such as your name, age and email address, plus any details surrounding your trip, including:
- Your holiday destination
- The dates you intend to travel there and back
- Who needs cover (a single person, couple, family or group)
- Optional extras (gadget, cruise and winter sports cover)
The second step asks a few questions regarding your health and any conditions for which you are currently receiving medication or treatment. This simple screening helps us find the right policy and providers for you.
Plus, we only partner with the best travel insurance providers to ensure that you not only get the right cover but that you have complete peace of mind before taking your trip.
It couldn’t be easier. Get a quote today and find the right travel insurance for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ll only show you quotes from providers who are able to cover emergency medical expenses (including repatriation to the UK) if you catch the virus whilst travelling abroad.
Some of our providers are able to offer additional cover, such as cancellation cover should you catch COVID-19 or have to self-isolate because of suspected symptoms before departure. We’ll make it clear who these providers are when you’re comparing quotes so you can choose the policy that is right for you.
This doesn’t apply to all insurance providers, so unless otherwise stated, for all other sections of cover, you wouldn’t be covered if making a claim as a result of COVID-19.
For more information, we recommend reading our full guide here.
If the FCDO are advising against all, or all but essential travel to your destination at the time of your trip, there will be no, or extremely limited cover provided by your policy.
You can still choose to take out a policy now for a future holiday, but it is very important to note that if the FCDO are still advising against all but essential travel to your destination at the time of your trip, your cover will not be valid.
For more information, we recommend reading our full guide here.
Yes, we’re here to help you find travel insurance that covers your cardiomyopathy. We compare policies from over 30 specialist providers to find the correct cover for you, tailored to your individual requirements. Get a quote today and find out just how simple it can be.
While we all want to keep the costs of our holiday down where possible, the cost of your insurance policy will depend on the severity of your condition. This will be determined through an online medical screening and it’s important that your cover accurately reflects your requirements. However, it is possible to find cheap cover, and we compare cover for cardiomyopathy from as little as £19.78*. Why not get a quote today and see how much you can save?
In the vast majority of cases, it’s safe to fly with cardiomyopathy and there should be no risk to your health in doing so. However, we recommend speaking to your doctor or healthcare physician before flying if you have recently suffered a heart attack, are recovering from heart surgery or had to receive additional treatment for cardiomyopathy owing to your symptoms or condition worsening.
As above, medical screening questions for cardiomyopathy will typically include a reference to the severity of your condition and/or when you were last in hospital for treatment. Screening is quick, easy and simple - get a quote today and find out for yourself.
* Price is based on 1 traveller aged 61, who has declared cardiomyopathy and is travelling to Spain for 7 nights. Price is correct as of October 2020. Prices may vary according to your individual requirements.
Trusted by people
just like you
Don't just take our word for it...
If we're unable to help you find cover for a pre-existing medical condition, the Money and Pensions Service (MaPs) have launched a new directory listing companies that may be able to assist you. You can find out more information on their website.