Why do I need travel insurance for a pacemaker?
Having a pacemaker fitted is one of the most common types of heart surgery you can have in the UK. Once you’ve recovered, the procedure can leave you feeling ready to do the things you love again - including going on holiday.
So while having a pacemaker shouldn’t stand in the way of you taking that trip, we highly recommend you have the right level of travel cover in place first. That’s why we work with the best specialist insurance providers, to help you find the right policy for you and your needs - at the right price.
Standard travel insurance policies might not cover you for medical conditions, so it’s important to get one that will.
Say you need to have treatment during your trip and you haven’t got the right insurance. If this happened, you wouldn’t necessarily be covered for any medical bills or other unexpected costs.
Telling us about your health condition is quick and easy, and can be done when you get your quote.Get a quote
Specialist Medical Cover
We only work with providers who specialise in covering pre-existing conditions.
No discounts. No pressure. We’ll always show you the best prices from providers.
How do I declare that I have a pacemaker fitted?
Our online medical screening tool makes it easy for you to tell us about any health conditions, including any that resulted in a pacemaker being fitted. Because we know it’s important that we fully understand your circumstances, we may ask you for a bit more information.
Below are some examples of the types of questions you might be asked:
- How has your condition been treated?
- How many unplanned hospital visits for an irregular heartbeat have you had in the last 12 months?
- Do you have any further investigation or treatment planned?
- Are you on medication to thin the blood (excluding aspirin and clopidogrel)?
- Have you ever had angina and/or a heart attack?
- Have you ever had a stroke or a mini-stroke (TIA)?
What does pacemaker travel insurance typically cover?
Specialist pacemaker cover usually includes the following:
- Emergency medical expenses and repatriation - if you need medical attention because of your condition, or have to be repatriated back to the UK in an emergency
- Lost, stolen or damaged personal belongings - including any medication
- Cancellation and curtailment - insurance companies will cover you in the event of needing to cancel or cut short your holiday (usually for a medical reason)
- Travel delay - this isn’t always included, so check with your provider
- Personal liability - if you cause accidental damage to another person or someone else’s property
While some insurance providers don’t offer full cover to people with medical conditions, we work with specialist providers who do offer this type of protection.Get a quote
Get quotes from specialist pacemaker travel insurance providers
Want to make sure you’ve got the right cover? With Medical Travel Compared, getting quotes from specialist providers couldn’t be easier.
From telling us about your health conditions to adding optional extras to your policy, we help you every step of the way. What’s more, we work with over 30 specialist insurance providers, so you can find the right policy to suit you.Get a quote
Trusted by thousands of people like you who've reviewed us on Trustpilot.
No phone calls or paperwork. Join millions who've sorted cover online in minutes.
Yes - we compare policies from over 30 specialist providers to find great cover for people who have had a pacemaker fitted.
The impact your pacemaker has on the price of your policy will depend on your individual circumstances. We’ll ask you a few short questions so we can understand your health condition better. We compare pacemaker cover from as little as £9.88*
Yes. Standard travel insurance policies might not cover you for health conditions - such as having a pacemaker - so it’s important to get specialist cover that will. If not, you won’t necessarily be covered for any medical or other unexpected bills you might face due to your pacemaker.
It’s easy to tell us about your pacemaker using our online medical screening tool.
Having a pacemaker shouldn’t stop you from getting travel insurance. We work with specialised providers to make sure policies can be tailored to suit you and your needs.
* Price is based on 1 traveller aged 61, who has declared Pacemaker and is travelling to France for 7 nights. The price is correct as of October 2023. Prices may vary according to your individual requirements.
Trusted by people
just like you
Don't just take our word for it...