Do I need specialised travel insurance if I am over 90?
We believe you should be able to travel, whatever your age. Whether you’re planning a holiday of a lifetime or a trip to visit family and friends, we can help you find the right travel insurance for you.
We work with many specialist providers who offer cover for people aged 90 and over - including those with health conditions.
While you might find insurance is more expensive for those over 90 - due to higher risks for older travellers - with Medical Travel Compared, you can rest assured that you’ll receive the right level of cover at the right price.Get a quote
Specialist Medical Cover
We only work with providers who specialise in covering pre-existing conditions.
No discounts. No pressure. We’ll always show you the best prices from providers.
Travel insurance for over 90s with medical conditions
We work with over 30 specialist providers to make sure we’re catering to as many medical conditions as possible. We'll ask you a few short and easy questions about your health history when you are getting a quote. If you answer yes to any of these, you'll need to tell us about the associated health conditions.
Medical conditions we can cover in your over 90s travel insurance policy include:
- Heart conditions
- Respiratory diseases
- Alzheimer's disease
- Influenza and pneumonia
- Oral health
Don’t see your condition listed? No problem. Simply tell us about your condition when you get a quote, and we’ll match you with suitable policies so you can have total peace of mind you're covered correctly.
What does an over 90s insurance policy typically cover?
As a baseline, most travel insurance covers:
- Emergency medical expenses and repatriation - if you need medical treatment, or have to be repatriated back to the UK in an emergency
- Lost, stolen, or damaged personal belongings - including any medication
- Cancellation and curtailment - insurance providers will cover you in the event of needing to cancel or cut short your holiday (usually for a medical reason)
- Travel delay - this isn’t always included, so check your policy
- Personal liability - if you cause accidental damage to another person or their property
Not all insurance companies will cover senior travellers of a certain age, but we can help you find companies that offer over 90s travel insurance and won’t show you quotes that have upper age limits below your age. Whilst you may find that some travel insurance providers are unable to offer annual travel insurance, it will usually be much easier to get single trip travel insurance.Get a quote
Travel advice for the over 90s
Travelling when you’re over 90 usually needs a bit of extra thought and preparation. Here are our five handy tips to keep in mind.
- Speak to your GP before you book, to check you’re safe to travel. Don’t forget to tell them about any activities you have planned, and find out whether you’ll need travel vaccinations.
- Plan, plan, plan. Research where you want to visit, to check they’re suitable for you and have the right medical facilities, etc.
- Make sure you have enough medication - plus a bit more, in case you’re unexpectedly delayed - and pack it in your hand luggage. If in doubt about what you need, ask your GP.
- Speak to your travel agent about any questions or concerns you have about your trip - as the experts, they will be able to advise you.
- Don’t forget about any optional extras you need - for example, cruise travel insurance is necessary for some holidays.
Compare the best deals for over 90s travel insurance
We know that while travellers over 90 years old like a bit more reassurance when it comes to cover, you don’t want to pay over the odds for it.
That’s why we make finding the right insurance for you - at the right price - as easy as possible.
We compare quotes from over 30 leading medical travel insurers - all in one place. Our simple online tool also makes telling us about any health conditions simple. So why not give it a try?Get a quote
Trusted by thousands of people like you who've reviewed us on Trustpilot.
No phone calls or paperwork. Join millions who've sorted cover online in minutes.
Over 90's FAQs
Many of our specialist providers will be able to offer cover for travellers over the age of 90.
We’ll search across a range of providers to find you cover for any worldwide locations you tell us about.
We’ll ask you for details of your trip and what cover you need. You’ll also be able to tell us about any medical conditions using our simple online screening tool – no need to call a provider or write to us - and the cost of your travel insurance will be calculated. It’s that easy!
A pre-existing condition is a diagnosed medical condition that existed before taking out a policy. We'll ask a series of questions about the medical history for you and any travellers on your quote. If you answer yes to any of these, you will need to tell us about the traveller's conditions. This could be a condition that a traveller has now or has had in the past. If you are not sure what conditions you need to declare, we have online support available to help you 24/7!
It is really simple and quick to do! After you've told us about your trip details and answered some medical history questions you can add your pre-existing conditions, one by one, for each traveller. You'll only need to enter your details once, it's all online and there's no need to call, or provide details of your conditions in writing.
* Price is based on 1 traveller aged 90, and is travelling to France for 7 nights. The price is correct as of October 2023. Prices may vary according to your individual requirements.
Trusted by people
just like you
Don't just take our word for it...