Do I need specialised travel insurance if I am over 90?
We believe you should be able to travel, whatever your age. Whether you’re planning a holiday of a lifetime or a trip to visit family and friends, we can help you find the right travel insurance for you.
We work with many specialist providers who offer cover for people aged 90 and over - including those with health conditions.
While you might find insurance is more expensive for those over 90 - due to higher risks for older travellers - with Medical Travel Compared, you can rest assured that you’ll receive the right level of cover at the right price.Get a quote
COVID-19 Medical Cover
We’ll only show you quotes from providers who cover emergency medical expenses (including repatriation to the UK) if you catch the virus whilst travelling abroad.
Enhanced COVID Cover
Extra cover that'll give you & your holiday even more protection against COVID-19. Compare quotes from leading providers with this additional cover today.
Travel insurance for over 90s with medical conditions
We work with over 30 specialist providers to make sure we’re catering to as many medical conditions as possible. We'll ask you a few short and easy questions about your health history when you are getting a quote. If you answer yes to any of these, you'll need to tell us about the associated health conditions.
Medical conditions we can cover in your over 90s policy include:
- Heart disease
- Respiratory diseases
- Alzheimer's disease
- Influenza and pneumonia
- Oral health
Don’t see your condition listed? No problem. Simply tell us about your condition when you get a quote, and we’ll match you with suitable policies.
What does an over 90s insurance policy typically cover?
Usually, insurance providers include the following:
- Emergency medical expenses and repatriation - if you need medical attention, or have to be repatriated back to the UK in an emergency
- Lost, stolen or damaged personal belongings - including any medication
- Cancellation and curtailment - insurance providers will cover you in the event of needing to cancel or cut short your holiday (usually for a medical reason)
- Travel delay - this isn’t always included, so check your policy
- Personal liability - if you cause accidental damage to another person or their property
Not all insurance companies will cover travellers over the age of 90, but we can help you find policies that do. Whilst you may find that some travel insurance providers are unable to offer Annual Multi Trip cover, it will usually be much easier to get a Single Trip policy.Get a quote
Travel advice for the over 90s
Travelling when you’re over 90 usually needs a bit of extra thought and preparation. Here are our five handy tips to keep in mind.
- Speak to your GP before you book, to check you’re safe to travel. Don’t forget to tell them about any activities you have planned, and find out whether you’ll need travel vaccinations.
- Plan, plan, plan. Research where you want to visit, to check they’re suitable for you and have the right medical facilities, etc.
- Make sure you have enough medication - plus a bit more, in case you’re unexpectedly delayed - and pack it in your hand luggage. If in doubt about what you need, ask your GP.
- Speak to your travel agent about any questions or concerns you have about your trip - as the experts, they will be able to advise you.
- Don’t forget about any optional extras you need - for example, cruise travel insurance is necessary for some holidays.
Compare the best deals for over 90s travel insurance
We know that while travellers over 90 years old like a bit more reassurance when it comes to cover, you don’t want to pay over the odds for it.
That’s why we make finding the right insurance for you - at the right price - as easy as possible.
We compare quotes from over 30 leading medical travel insurers - all in one place. Our simple online tool also makes telling us about any health conditions simple. So why not give it a try?Get a quote
No discounts. No pressure. Just the best prices from specialists all the time.
All Ages Considered
Join over half a million people who have used us to find the cover they need.
Over 90's FAQs
We’ll only show you quotes from providers who are able to cover emergency medical expenses (including repatriation to the UK) if you catch the virus whilst travelling abroad.
Some of our providers are able to offer additional cover, such as cancellation cover should you catch COVID-19 or have to self-isolate because of suspected symptoms before departure. We’ll make it clear who these providers are when you’re comparing quotes so you can choose the policy that is right for you.
This doesn’t apply to all insurance providers, so unless otherwise stated, for all other sections of cover, you wouldn’t be covered if making a claim as a result of COVID-19.
For more information, we recommend reading our full guide here.
If the FCDO are advising against all, or all but essential travel to your destination at the time of your trip, there will be no, or extremely limited cover provided by your policy.
You can still choose to take out a policy now for a future holiday, but it is very important to note that if the FCDO are still advising against all but essential travel to your destination at the time of your trip, your cover will not be valid.
For more information, we recommend reading our full guide here.
Many of our specialist providers will be able to offer cover for travellers over the age of 90.
We’ll search across a range of providers to find you cover for any worldwide locations you tell us about.
We’ll ask you for details of your trip and what cover you need. You’ll also be able to tell us about any medical conditions using our simple online screening tool – no need to call a provider or write to us - and the cost of your travel insurance will be calculated. It’s that easy!
* Price is based on 1 traveller aged 90, and is travelling to Spain for 7 nights. Price is correct as of July 2020 . Prices may vary according to your individual requirements.
Trusted by people
just like you
Don't just take our word for it...
If we're unable to help you find cover for a pre-existing medical condition, the Money and Pensions Service (MaPs) have launched a new directory listing companies that may be able to assist you. You can find out more information on their website.