Why do I need travel insurance for diabetes?
We appreciate that it can often be challenging for people living with diabetes to find a suitable travel insurance policy without paying a premium.
That’s why we’re here - to make the process as smooth and as straightforward as possible.
Although many standard travel insurance policies will offer a certain amount of medical coverage, many providers won’t cover the costs if you require any diabetes-related treatment during your trip. This is why it’s important to have a policy that includes specialist cover for diabetes also.
Medical Travel Compared helps you to compare quotes for specialist travel insurance covering diabetes in minutes.
With us, you can compare cover from over 40 leading insurance providers at competitive prices.
You’ll be able to find the right policy for you in no time - so why not get started today?Get a quote
Is diabetes classed as a pre-existing condition?
Yes, diabetes is classed as a pre-existing medical condition and isn’t something that providers automatically cover. It’s not mandatory for you to buy diabetic travel insurance, but without it, you won’t be covered if you need emergency medical attention relating to your condition while you’re away.
However, you can rest assured that it’s easy to declare diabetes as a condition when you compare cover with Medical Travel Compared. We’ve helped thousands of people with pre-existing medical conditions find suitable holiday insurance over the years - so you can count on us to find you the right policy at a competitive price.
What does insurance for diabetes sufferers typically cover?
Diabetes holiday insurance could offer coverage for a variety of different things, including:
- Lost, Stolen or Damaged Personal Belongings - this could include any medication you take abroad with you - like insulin, for example.
- Emergency Medical Expenses and Repatriation - this covers you for emergency hospital visits - and even covers the cost of medical evacuation back to the UK if necessary.
- Cancellation and Curtailment - the insurance provider will cover you in the event of needing to cancel your holiday or cut it short at the expense of your condition.
- Travel Delay - this won’t always be included, check with your provider.
- Personal Liability - if you cause accidental damage to another person or someone else’s property - cover is provided.
These are usually the things you should expect to be covered as a minimum, so it’s always worth bearing these in mind before shopping around.Get a quote
Policies that cover different types of diabetes
Medical Travel Compared enables you to compare quotes from a range of providers that cover all types of diabetes.
Despite 90% of patients being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, it is still possible to get cover for type 1 and other rarer forms of diabetes.
When you compare cover with us, you’ll have the opportunity to declare diabetes as a pre-existing condition. Once you do this, you might be asked a few questions about your diabetes, including the type you’ve been diagnosed with.
This helps insurance providers get a better understanding of your condition and general medical background so that they can offer you the right cover.
Once you’ve purchased a suitable policy, the next step is to prepare yourself for your trip. This includes working around your condition to ensure your trip is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
To get you started, here are a few tips from medical expert - Dr Sarah Jarvis…
Compare quotes from specialist diabetes travel insurance providers
You can count on us to provide you with plenty of choice when comparing quotes for diabetes travel insurance.
We work with over 40 leading providers, so you can be sure to find a suitable policy in a matter of minutes.
Our straightforward online comparison tool gives you the freedom to choose from all these providers in one place - saving you precious time and money!Get a quote
Frequently Asked Questions
* Price is based on 1 traveller aged 61, who has declared either Diabetes Type 1 or Diabetes Type 2 and is travelling to Spain for 7 nights. Price is correct as of December 2019. Prices may vary according to your individual requirements.
Trusted by people
just like you
Don't just take our word for it...