Why do I need travel insurance for HIV?
Many people might assume that having an HIV diagnosis makes it impossible to get travel insurance, but this is not the case - we can help you. With us, you can compare specialist cover from lots of providers that have tailored policies for those living with HIV.
Standard travel insurance policies will usually include medical coverage, but this is unlikely to provide cover for any pre-existing health conditions, such as HIV - so it’s important to find a policy that will.
You can use our straightforward quote tool to compare quotes for HIV travel insurance in minutes. Try it today and get the cover you need ahead of your trip.Get a quote
Specialist Medical Cover
We only work with providers who specialise in covering pre-existing conditions.
No discounts. No pressure. We’ll always show you the best prices from providers.
How to get travel insurance cover for HIV
Because everyone’s condition is different, we’ll ask you a few questions about your HIV so that we can get a good picture of your overall health and can offer you personalised cover. For more information on how to tell us about any pre-existing health conditions check out our guide.
You will likely be asked some of the following:
- In the last 3 months, have you started a new antiviral drug, or is a new drug planned?
- What is your latest CD4 count?
- If you have been on antiviral treatment for more than 3 months, what is your latest viral load?
- Have you been advised to start antiviral treatment but chosen not to?
- What does HIV travel insurance typically cover?
By making sure you disclose your HIV status is included on your policy, you can rest assured that your policy will take into account your condition, and any impact it has on your trip. For example, if your condition flares up before your holiday and you are too unwell to travel, or if you need medical attention whilst you are away. Offering you complete peace of mind to travel as you wish.
Alongside providing cover for your HIV, you can expect your travel insurance to include the same things that a standard travel insurance policy would include, such as:
- Emergency medical expenses and repatriation- if you’re hospitalised, or even need to be brought back to the UK for treatment as a result of your condition.
- Lost, stolen or damaged personal belongings- this could include any medication that you’re taking with you to treat your anxiety.
- Cancellation and curtailment- if you suddenly decide to cancel your trip, or end up cutting it short.
- Travel delay- this won’t always be included, so check your cover
- Personal liability- if you cause accidental damage to another person, or someone else’s property - cover is provided.
You can compare this type of cover across a range of specialist travel insurance providers, so why not start today?
Also, feel free to add any optional extras that you need - such as gadget cover, cruise cover or winter sports cover.
This adds a little bit extra to the cost of your cover, but it’s definitely something to consider when shopping around, especially if you have different types of holidays planned.Get a quote
Tips for travelling with HIV
If you are HIV positive and planning a trip overseas, you may already be aware that some countries have some restrictions in place for people living with HIV, so make sure you do your research before you choose a destination. If you are not sure if the country you plan to travel to has any restrictions, you can see a full list of these countries on The Global Database.
When travelling with HIV medication, it’s important to bring a letter with details of your prescription with you (especially if you are travelling with it in your hand luggage).
If you’re travelling across different time zones, you may need to adjust the timing of doses. Make sure you discuss this in advance with your doctor.
Get cheap quotes online from specialist HIV travel insurance providers
Use our straightforward quote comparison tool for pre-existing conditions to find the cover you need. It literally takes minutes.
You can compare HIV cover across a range of specialist insurance providers, all in one place - so there should be plenty of choices.
Once you’ve got everything sorted - so you can get on with the good stuff and start planning your trip.Get a quote
Trusted by thousands of people like you who've reviewed us on Trustpilot.
No phone calls or paperwork. Join millions who've sorted cover online in minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes - we help you compare cover for specialist HIV travel insurance. Get a quote today and compare cover from a range of different providers.
This depends on how much cover you need (which will be determined by the questions you might need to answer as part of the medical screening process). Get a quote to get an idea of what to expect.
This depends on the nature of your condition. For example, if you’ve had a recent diagnosis your premium might be higher, but if you’ve been taking medication for more than 3 months and your condition is stable - it’s likely to be lower.
* Price is based on 1 traveller aged 61, who has declared HIV and is travelling to France for 7 nights. The price is correct as of October 2023. Prices may vary according to your individual requirements.
Trusted by people
just like you
Don't just take our word for it...