Do you need specialist travel insurance following coronary angioplasty surgery?
Ready to set off on your next great adventure? Before you pack your suitcase, make sure you’re prepared for any eventuality with specialised angioplasty cover.
We’re here to help you secure that extra peace of mind, so you can fully relax on your holiday. Standard travel insurance is unlikely to cover you if you’ve had an angioplasty procedure - but there’s no need to worry. Should you need treatment while you’re away from home, the right policy will help avoid any unforeseen costs or a large medical bill. Specialist angioplasty policies have comprehensive medical cover bespoke to your individual needs, meaning you and your holiday are protected.
You may already be aware that there can be many reasons or conditions behind the need for an angioplasty procedure. We know not every case is the same and that symptoms can be non-existent following your procedure, or alternatively really affect your day-to-day life. We'll take your individual circumstances into account so that we can help you find the right policy.
To declare your procedure, simply tell us where your angioplasty was fitted (neck, heart, arm, kidney, groin or leg) while getting a quote. After a few short and easy questions, the rest is taken care of. It really couldn’t be simpler.
If you’ve recently had an angioplasty (within the last 6 weeks) and are planning to travel by aeroplane or car, we recommend consulting with your doctor to ensure you are fit to drive or fly. If you have a related illness - such as a heart condition - or if you are unsure about whether to tell us about a condition, just chat to our online team who are there to answer any queries you may have. We’re here to help.Get a quote
Specialist Medical Cover
We only work with providers who specialise in covering pre-existing conditions.
No discounts. No pressure. We’ll always show you the best prices from providers.
Medical screening for declaring coronary angioplasty
When you tell us about your angioplasty, you’ll be asked a short series of questions. This medical screening is designed to help us learn more about your specific condition or the circumstances behind the procedure (i.e. heart bypass, peripheral vascular disease, renal artery stenosis, transient ischaemic attack, vertebrobasilar insufficiency).
Giving us this information helps us understand how your day-to-day life is affected, so we can bring you a selection of providers and quotes to choose from. These questions are quick, easy and make it so simple to get a policy bespoke to your requirements - and we’re here to help you find the right cover for the right price.
Typical questions on your angioplasty may include:
- In which part of the body did you have your angioplasty?
- Have you ever had a heart bypass?
- Have you ever been a smoker?
- How long ago was your angioplasty or stenting performed?
- Have you ever had any chest pain or chest tightness since your last procedure?
- How many coronary stents do you have?
If you are unsure about any of the answers, then it's best to check with your GP, just to be sure we have all the right information and can help you find the right cover.
What does an angioplasty insurance policy typically cover?
Angioplasty travel insurance is specifically tailored to your individual circumstances, as well as cover any medical expenses incurred while you’re away as a result of your condition, or even if you need to cancel your holiday if your condition flares up, and you are too unwell to travel (which is typically not covered by standard travel insurance).
- Treatment or surgery
- Emergency repatriation home
- Any requisite medication (in case of loss or damage in transit)
- Cancellation of your holiday if your symptoms worsen
- Legal protection
- Personal liability
While some insurers do not provide full cover for pre-existing health conditions or take into account a history of procedures such as an angioplasty, we have partnered with a number of specialist providers to bring you the right policy for you - so you can fully relax and really enjoy that much-needed break away.
It’s worth noting that while your symptoms do not need to be declared, you may be asked about these when getting a quote. If you are awaiting a diagnosis or treatment, we recommend speaking to your doctor or healthcare physician before travelling. We are unable to provide a quote or offer cover if you have a condition which is under investigation and has not yet been diagnosed.
Get a quote for angioplasty travel insurance today and enjoy your holiday knowing your condition - or that of your travelling companions - is covered with us.Get a quote
Alongside the regular benefits of your travel insurance policy - such as accident, medical and repatriation expenses, cancellation, mobility aids, baggage loss and theft - you can also include optional extras that might come in handy for your trip. These aren’t essential, but we recommend exploring what’s available in terms of extra cover if you’re taking any expensive gadgets, going on a cruise or participating in any winter sports.
Of course, you can add any optional extras that you need - such as:
This may increase your premium, but it’s definitely something to consider when shopping around, especially if you have different types of holidays planned.
Angioplasty travel tips to stay safe
Planning a trip away? There’s no reason you shouldn’t enjoy a relaxing holiday after an angioplasty. To make the most of your well-deserved time away, just bear a few things in mind before you go to prioritise your health and make the most of your break.
Before you travel:
- Consult with your doctor to make sure you are fit to fly or drive (in accordance with NHS advice, wait at least 2 days before flying and up to a week before driving)
- Choose your destination carefully - try to avoid countries that are too hot or cold to avoid unnecessary strain on your body and choose accommodation close to a reputable hospital
- If your symptoms cause fatigue, choose accommodation with a lift or other means of getting around if walking becomes tiring (or better still, request a room on the ground floor)
- If you’ve packed medication, split it between your cabin luggage and your hand luggage, just in case either are lost or stolen (and always pack more than you need, just in case)
- Double check with your GP or pharmacist that your medication is a legal substance where you’re going - just in case
- Pack copies of any important medical documents (with a copy in each set of luggage, in case anything goes missing)
- Make sure you have declared your condition and have the right policy in place
While you’re travelling:
- Be mindful of your diet - we know it’s easier said than done! Keep hydrated (especially in hot countries), and avoid foods high in fat, salt and sugar as well as drinks high in caffeine and alcohol to keep your heart rate stable
- Don’t be afraid to speak up - if you feel unwell or have new symptoms, alert cabin crew or airport/hotel staff as soon as possible so they can assist you in whichever way you need
- The NHS advises no heavy living within a week of having an angioplasty - take advantage of any additional services at the airport or cruise ship with mobility aids or concierge services to ease the stress of travelling
- Be mindful of any time difference between home and your destination when it comes to taking your medication (it can be confusing!)
- Take gentle exercise while you’re there; think of a daily walk as a great way to see the local area and take in new surroundings
Get cheap quotes from specialist travel insurance providers
When you get a quote, you’ll be taken through our seamless and speedy two-step form which makes declaring any health conditions easy and hassle-free, just how you like it.
The first step asks for basic information such as your name, age and email address, plus any details surrounding your trip, including:
- Your holiday destination
- The dates you intend to travel there and back
- Who needs cover (a single person, couple, family or group)
- Optional extras (gadget, cruise and winter sports cover)
The second step asks a few questions regarding your health and any conditions for which you are currently receiving medication or treatment. This simple screening helps us find the right policy and providers for you.
Plus, we only partner with the best travel insurance providers to ensure that you not only get the right cover but that you have complete peace of mind before taking your trip.
With cover from just £11.89, get a quote today and find the right travel insurance for you.Get a quote
Trusted by thousands of people like you who've reviewed us on Trustpilot.
No phone calls or paperwork. Join millions who've sorted cover online in minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
While we all want to keep the costs of our holiday down where possible, the cost of your insurance policy will depend on the severity of your condition. This will be determined through an online medical screening and it’s important that your cover accurately reflects your requirements - just in case you should need it.
Of course! We’re here to help you find travel insurance that covers your angioplasty and any conditions related to your procedure. We compare policies from over 30 specialist providers to find the correct cover for you, tailored to your individual requirements. Get a quote today and find out just how simple it can be.
In the vast majority of cases, it’s safe to fly after an angioplasty (in some cases, for a routine procedure, as soon as 2 days after surgery) and there should be no risk to your health in doing so. The NHS also advises not to do any heavy lifting or driving for at least 7 days after having a coronary angioplasty - so make sure you’re travelling with someone who can help you. However - and especially if you recently had an angioplasty - we recommend speaking to your doctor or consultant before travelling to make sure you’re good to go.
* Price is based on 1 traveller aged 61, who has declared Angioplasty and is travelling to France for 7 nights. The price is correct as of October 2023. Prices may vary according to your individual requirements.
Trusted by people
just like you
Don't just take our word for it...