Why do I need travel insurance for gallstones?
Gallstones are pretty common in the UK, with more than 1 in 10 adults having gallstones and although only a minority of people will develop symptoms it is still highly recommended that you find specialist cover before you travel.
A specialist travel insurance policy covering gallstones is there to protect you and offer you peace of mind should you ever experience a fluctuation in your symptoms that requires medical attention, or even surgical intervention during your holiday.
You can compare lots of different quotes here, we've made it nice and easy for you, with everything in one place.Get a quote
Specialist Medical Cover
We only work with providers who specialise in covering pre-existing conditions.
No discounts. No pressure. We’ll always show you the best prices from providers.
Do I have to declare gallstones on my travel insurance policy?
If you’ve been prescribed medication, recently diagnosed with gallstones or seen a medical professional (such as a GP) in the last 2 years, then you will need to tell us about your gallstones. Remember to also include any relevant health conditions of your travelling companions, if you’re getting a group policy.
When you’re telling us about your pre-existing medical conditions, it’s likely that we’ll ask a few questions about your health condition. The answers you provide will help travel insurance providers get a better understanding of your condition and general medical background.
For example, you might be asked:
- Have you had a cholecystectomy? (Gall bladder removal)?
- Are you awaiting any procedures to treat your gall bladder or bile ducts?
- Have you had any symptoms related to your gall bladder or bile ducts in the last 12 months?
- Is there any further investigation or treatment for biliary stones or any other complication?
- Has this condition ever caused you to cancel, or cut short any travel plans?
What will travel insurance for gallstones cover?
By declaring gallstones on your policy, you can rest assured that your cover will take into account your condition, and any impact it has on your trip. For example, if your gallstones flare up before your holiday and you are too ill to travel, or if you need medical attention whilst you are away.
Travel insurance policies can vary depending on the terms of the insurance provider, but you will usually find that most insurance policies will cover the following:
- Emergency medical expenses and repatriation - if you need any emergency medical assistance or need to be brought back to the UK for treatment as a result of your condition.
- Lost, stolen or damaged personal belongings - including any medication that you’ve brought along to treat gallstones.
- Cancellation and curtailment - if you suddenly decide to cancel your trip, or end up cutting it short.
- Travel delay - this won’t always be included, so please check with your provider.
- Personal liability - if you cause accidental damage to another person or someone else’s property - cover is provided.
Also, feel free to add any optional extras that you need for your travels - such as gadget cover, cruise cover or winter sports cover.
These extras might alter the price of your policy, but it’s definitely something to consider when shopping around, especially if you have different types of holidays planned.Get a quote
Tips for travelling with gallstones
When it comes to travelling with gallstones, it’s important to be mindful of your condition at all times.
- Understand your symptoms. It’s important to keep in mind that your symptoms could change quickly - so it’s worth taking all the precautions you need to ensure your journey is as comfortable as it can be.
- Manage your diet. This is vital, so be sure to keep a consistent diet that won’t aggravate your symptoms - and of course, drink plenty of water.
- Take enough medication to last you the trip. You don't want to be cut short. You can find out more about travelling with medication here.
Get quotes from specialist gallstone travel insurance providers
Compare gallstone travel insurance quotes quickly and easily with us online today.
Use our straightforward online quote comparison tool and get covered within minutes, with a specialist travel insurance policy covering gallstones. No paperwork, no phone calls, no hassle.
You’ll have plenty of choice across a range of leading providers - and we'll help find you the right protection for your condition.Get a quote
Trusted by thousands of people like you who've reviewed us on Trustpilot.
No phone calls or paperwork. Join millions who've sorted cover online in minutes.
It’s possible to find competitive quotes across a range of leading providers. The most important thing is to find a policy that includes the right type of cover, rather than selecting the cheapest quote. Get a quote
While the EHIC provides a certain level of medical coverage, it's likely that the cover will be restricted - so it’s important to ensure that you purchase a specialist travel insurance policy to cover gallstones also.
Provided you have the right cover, you can claim against any expenses you incur following a medical emergency in a country whilst on holiday.
* Price is based on 1 traveller aged 61, who has declared Gallstones and is travelling to France for 7 nights. The price is correct as of October 2023. Prices may vary according to your individual requirements.
Trusted by people
just like you
Don't just take our word for it...