Why do you need travel insurance for pre-existing conditions?
Going on holiday can be a costly expense, which is why it’s important to get covered for your pre-existing medical conditions before travelling. With Medical Travel Compared, travel insurance with medical conditions isn't too far away.
If anything happens as a result of your condition while travelling, this type of travel insurance enables you to claim - providing you with the peace of mind to enjoy your holiday knowing you’re protected.
Despite the fact that many standard policies will include medical coverage, more often than not - this won’t extend to claims relating to undisclosed medical conditions. In fact, a recent study found that only 1 in 5 people understood the need to disclose a pre-existing condition.
Failing to disclose pre-existing medical conditions carries many risks if you end up needing to claim as a result of a pre-existing medical condition. It's essential to arrange specialist travel insurance for existing conditions with the correct cover.
Depending on the type of medical condition you have, finding specialist providers to cover you can be challenging and expensive. This is where Medical Travel Compared can help.
Our experienced team is on hand to help you compare the market for travel insurance with pre-existing medical conditions and take the money out of travelling with a medical condition.
Our simple online comparison tool helps you find affordable quotes in minutes, so you know you're getting the best travel insurance for medical conditions. Why not give it a try today?
Specialist Medical Cover
We only work with providers who specialise in covering pre-existing conditions.
No discounts. No pressure. We’ll always show you the best prices from providers.
Medical screening for pre-existing conditions
With Medical Travel Compared, the process of disclosing your conditions when applying for holiday insurance with pre-existing conditions is very straightforward.
You’ll be able to declare your conditions once you’ve entered a number of details regarding your trip - as well as selecting the type of policy you need, whether that’s for a single trip, or an annual multi-trip policy.
It’s likely that you might be asked a few questions in relation to your condition before you proceed. This stage is called medical screening - and it enables travel insurance providers to get a better understanding of your medical background so that they can offer you the right type of cover.
For more information on declaring your pre-existing medical conditions and the online medical screening process, you can read our comprehensive guide.Find Out More
What are pre-existing medical conditions?
This refers to any condition that existed before, or at the time you take out travel insurance for existing medical conditions. Essentially, you need to notify insurance providers about any conditions you’ve been previously diagnosed with in order to get the most suitable level of holiday insurance for medical conditions - and that’s where we come in!
You can declare your pre-existing conditions with us - and we’ll help you compare quotes for pre-existing medical travel insurance. Just bear in mind that insurance providers cannot provide cover for undiagnosed conditions.
There are over 2,000 conditions that can be covered by travel insurance that covers pre-existing medical conditions. Here are some of the most common forms of medical insurance we help people find:
- Travel Insurance for Allergies
- Travel Insurance for Anxiety
- Travel Insurance for Asthma
- Travel Insurance for Atrial Fibrillation
- Travel Insurance for Back Problems
- Travel Insurance for Breast Cancer
- Travel Insurance for Cancer
- Travel Insurance for COPD
- Travel Insurance for Crohn’s Disease
- Travel Insurance for Depression
- Travel Insurance for Diabetes
- Travel Insurance for Epilepsy
- Travel Insurance for Gallstones
- Travel Insurance for Heart Conditions
- Travel Insurance for Hernias
- Travel Insurance for High Blood Pressure
- Travel Insurance for HIV
- Travel Insurance for Lupus
- Travel Insurance for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Travel Insurance for Prostate Cancer
- Travel Insurance for Skin Cancer
- Travel Insurance for Stroke
If any of the above apply to you - then you may need to declare them to compare the right travel insurance cover for you.
This especially applies if you have recently been diagnosed with the condition and are receiving treatment for it right now. That being said - not all conditions necessarily need to be declared. It often depends on what they are and when they occurred.
It’s also worth bearing in mind that we are unable to provide a quote for an undiagnosed medical condition that’s currently under investigation.
What does a pre-existing medical policy typically cover?
Holiday insurance for pre-existing medical conditions could offer coverage for a variety of different things, including:
- Lost, Stolen or Damaged Personal Belongings - this could include any medication you take abroad with you - so it’s an important benefit.
- Emergency Medical Expenses and Repatriation - if you need emergency medical treatment abroad, the chances are you’ll end up paying a hefty price for it. The cost of repatriation (emergency return back to the UK) is also high.
- Cancellation and Curtailment - the insurance provider will cover you in the event of needing to cancel your holiday or cut it short for a certain reason (usually medical).
- Travel Delay - this won’t always be included, check with your provider.
- Personal Liability - if you cause accidental damage to another person or someone else’s property - cover is provided.
We work with over 30 leading providers to help you compare cover for over 2,000 medical conditions - so you can count on us to help you find what you need in no time.Get a quote
Compare quotes and find the best cover for your condition
Why waste time and effort searching the internet for specialist cover when you can come straight to us? We enable you to compare travel insurance for pre-existing conditions, UK wide, from leading insurance providers all in one place.
The process couldn’t be any easier - and you’ll be able to start comparing cover against any pre-existing travel insurance you may have in minutes.
Then, it’s time to get back to the exciting stuff… like planning your holiday!Get a quote
Trusted by thousands of people like you who've reviewed us on Trustpilot.
No phone calls or paperwork. Join millions who've sorted cover online in minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
A pre-existing condition is a diagnosed medical condition that existed before taking out a policy. We'll ask a series of questions about the medical history for you and any travellers on your quote. If you answer yes to any of these, you will need to tell us about the traveller's conditions. This could be a condition that a traveller has now or has had in the past. If you are not sure what conditions you need to declare, we have online support available to help you 24/7!
* Price is based on 1 traveller aged 61, who has declared High blood pressure and is travelling to France for 7 nights. The price is correct as of October 2023. Prices may vary according to your individual requirements.
Trusted by people
just like you
Don't just take our word for it...