Tommy Lloyd
Author: Tommy Lloyd, Managing Director

Tommy has over 15 years experience within the insurance industry, and his primary focus is helping travellers find the right cover for their medical conditions.

4 min read

Travelling is an exciting part of life – it allows us to explore new places, meet different people, and experience cultures that are vastly different from our own.

However, If a stroke, mini-stroke or transient ischaemic attack (TIA) has left you or a member of your family with reduced mobility booking a holiday abroad can definitely be a challenge, but it should be manageable. Yet, trying to navigate through the complexities of travel insurance can be an overwhelming task.

In this blog, you’ll learn how to find reliable travel insurance after a stroke so that your future holidays will go as smoothly as possible!

Cherry Blossom

What to Consider When Looking For Travel Insurance After a Stroke or TIA

After a stroke, mini-stroke or TIA, finding suitable travel insurance can be a daunting task. When searching for the best policy to fit your medical needs and budget, there are several items you should consider.

Make sure to shop around and compare policies from different insurers. In addition, check that the policy covers any pre-existing conditions (and what is excluded), while allowing you to make changes as needed. It's important to know what medical costs are covered and if there is an emergency medical service available. 

Airports and airlines are required under EU law to provide you with a certain level of assistance to enable you to complete your journey as comfortably as possible. However, if the stroke has resulted in you needing walking sticks, a frame or a wheelchair to get around, look out for a travel insurance policy which includes cover for the loss, theft or damage of mobility aids.

It’s always beneficial to read reviews from people who have already purchased, so you can gain an understanding of their experiences.

With the right amount of research and due diligence, you can confidently find the perfect travel insurance policy tailored to your individual needs.

Dr Sarah Jarvis, MBE

Top Tips for Travelling if You've Had a Stroke

Dr Sarah Jarvis is the Clinical Director of the Patient Platform, an active medical writer, broadcaster, and the resident doctor for BBC Radio 2.

Having had a stroke or TIA (sometimes called a 'mini stroke') doesn't automatically mean you can't go on holiday. But depending on how long ago your stroke was, and what symptoms you've been left with, you will need to take a few extra precautions to make sure your trip goes smoothly. Check out my Top Tips for travelling if you have had a stroke.

READ MORE:  Top Tips for Travelling if You've Had a Stroke

Zebras in Africa

Finding Affordable Travel Insurance

No matter the specifics of your medical history or the policies you choose, having travel insurance after a stroke or TIA is crucial in protecting your financial and physical well-being for any adventure.

Thankfully, Medical Travel Compared makes it easy to find travel insurance to cover pre-existing medical conditions, such as stroke, mini-stroke or TIA. We can help you compare travel insurance to cover your stroke quickly and easily.

You simply need to declare to us that you have had a stroke and answer a short series of multiple-choice questions to be presented with a selection of travel insurance quotes from our panel of specialist providers. It will only take a few minutes and you won't need a doctor's certificate to get travel insurance cover for your stroke.

Get a quote

Act FAST: 4 symptoms of a stroke

If you suspect someone has suffered symptoms of a stroke remember to act FAST and perform the following tests:

  • FACIAL weakness: Can the person smile? Has their mouth or eye drooped?
  • ARM weakness: Can the person raise both arms?
  • SPEECH problems: Can the person speak clearly and understand what you say?
  • TIME to call 999.

If a person fails any one of these tests get help immediately by dialling 999 or 112 if you are on holiday within the EU.

A pre-existing condition is a diagnosed medical condition that existed before taking out a policy. We'll ask a series of questions about the medical history for you and any travellers on your quote. If you answer yes to any of these, you will need to tell us about the traveller's conditions. This could be a condition that a traveller has now or has had in the past. If you are not sure what conditions you need to declare, we have online support available to help you 24/7!

With us you can compare specialist stroke travel insurance across a range of providers. Get a quote today and start comparing competitive cover before you embark on your trip.

Premiums vary depending on the nature of your condition - but it’s still possible to compare competitive quotes with us and find a suitable policy for a reasonable cost. Get a quote.

Although not as serious as a stroke, if you have had TIA, you should absolutely purchase travel insurance that covers this particular condition. If you don’t, then any problems caused or lasting symptoms from the TIA whilst you’re on holiday may not be covered by your policy – and you could be left out of pocket should you have to seek medical help on your trip.  Get a quote.

Some travel providers may be able to provide some cover, but the value might not be enough to cover the cost of your item - it's always best to check your policy wording, it will usually be found in the baggage or personal belongings section. You may also like to check your home insurance policy - this can sometimes allow cover for your mobility aid whilst away from home but may be limited to within the UK. If your mobility aid cannot be covered in either of these ways, you may like to consider taking out specialist insurance.
Share and share alike Share the love with friends.